Entry to IITs is a two-step procedure now. The first level is the JEE Main (earlier known as AIEEE). The rank secured here is considered for admission in NITs and other institutes. The students who score the top 1.5 lac positions in the JEE Main exam are then shortlisted to appear in the JEE Advanced. Students are given admission in the IITs based on the rank secured in this test. Now here are a few Tips and Reference Books that shall come handy while preparing for IIT JEE 2016.
Tips to Prepare for JEE:-
JEE advanced tests a student’s knowledge and understanding of subjects in depth. Questions put across in the JEE Advanced exam are not out of the course. They just require you to have a deeper knowledge about the topics you learn in your NCERT syllabus. Thus, while preparing for JEE, it is essential for you to not just solve a few questions but to work upon the difficult ones that require you to think analytically. Here are a few tips that I personally used while preparing for the JEE examination:
- Revise the topics taught in the class simultaneously. Solve relevant questions for each topic from the reference books.
- Prepare a good study plan. I had prepared a list of all the chapters that were to be covered for JEE Advanced and set a yearly plan on which topic I should cover, and by when.
- Don’t keep a watch at the clock while studying – do not set a limit like, ‘I will study for one hour’ or any such sort of time restriction. This way you will end up limiting your thinking as your mind would only remain focused on how much more time you require studying. Simply pick up a book, choose a topic and solve as many questions as you can until you feel satisfied and confident about the topic.
- In case you find out that you are weak in a topic then do not let it linger on. Seek assistance from your coaching/school teachers to clear the problems right away. Otherwise, the problems related to those particular topics will keep piling up and will create a major problem later.
Here are a few books that I would suggest you to study for this exam:
- Organic Chemistry: Organic Chemistry by MORRISON & BOYD
- Inorganic Chemistry: Inorganic Chemistry by Dr. O.P. Tandon
- Physics: H.C Verma (Part 1 and 2), S.L. Arora, Concepts of physics
- Physical Chemistry: R.C. Mukherjee’s Modern Approach to Chemical Calculatuions, Numericals in Physical Chemistry by Dr. P Bahadur
- Mathematics: New Pattern Mathematics for IIT JEE by M.L. Khanna, Mathematics for IIT JEE, Arihant publications.
Besides these books, I would also suggest you to purchase Arihant book of sample papers for JEE Advanced. I went through this book and found it to be very helpful in preparing for JEE.