Dengue that mostly spreads in the later half of the year in India creates panic all over the country. It is caused by the bite of Female Aedes Aegypti Mosquito. The mosquito is active both indoors and outdoors and bites during the day time.
Numerous cases of Dengue are registered each year. While it was considered a deadly fever until a few years back, effective medicines and treatment to cure the same have now been invented. It can be treated within a few days and with caution the number of cases can also be brought down.As it is said, precaution is always better than cure. However, you can only take precautions if you know about the cause of this fever and other details about the same. Here is a look at the symptoms, treatment and prevention of Dengue to help you avoid/ deal with it.
Dengue Fever – Symptoms
Here is a look at the signs and symptoms of Dengue:
- Fever lasting from around three to seven days
- Rashes on the skin
- Prolonged pain in the eyes and headache
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive Fatigue
- Nose or gum bleeding
A person infected with the Dengue virus usually begins to show these symptoms within 4 to 7 days. At times, it may take around 2 weeks to develop these symptoms. If you see any of the symptoms, it is suggested to seek medical help immediately. While these symptoms may hint at Dengue, the confirmation is done by way of a blood test.
Dengue Fever – Prevention
Here is a look at how you can prevent the Dengue fever in the first place:
- Dengue mosquitoes breed in water. The first and foremost thing you must do to prevent Dengue is to ensure that coolers, buckets, planting containers and other such stuff are cleaned from time to time and that water is not accumulated unnecessarily anywhere. Make it a habit to cover the water if you have to store it.
- You must protect yourself from mosquito bites. Apply creams or oils that prevent mosquito bites.
- In addition to this, ensure you keep the mosquito repellents on at your place.
- It is suggested to wear protective clothes during the season these mosquitoes breed.
- It is also essential to prevent access of mosquitoes to a person infected with Dengue.
Dengue Fever – Treatment
There is no particular medicine for Dengue. Doctors prescribe medicine for bringing down the fever. It is suggested to have plenty of fluids when down with this fever. Besides, there are a few herbs and other ingredients that can help in increasing the platelet count and curing this condition. Here is a look at these:
Boil a few giloy stems in water and have it. It boosts the immunity system and protects the body against infections.
- Fenugreek Leaves
Soak these leaves in water and have it. These leaves bring down fever, soothe pain and promote restful sleep.
- Papaya Leaves
Crush papaya leaves and have its juice. It flushes away the toxins, increases the platelet count and reduces body ache and fever.
- Tulsi Leaves
Boil Tulsi leaves in water and have it. Add a pinch of black pepper for added effect. Its antibacterial element helps the body fight against this illness.