The Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur (IIT J), situated in Jodhpur, Rajasthan was established in the year 2010. It is among the eight Indian Institutes of Technology set up in the recent years. IIT Jodhpur was set up under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
It was decided that IIT Kanpur would mentor IIT Jodhpur initially. The first IIT Jodhpur academic session commenced at the IIT Kanpur campus in July 2008. There were 109 students in the first session. Undergraduate courses in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering and Electrical Engineering were on offer during the first academic session. It was in the latter half of 2009 that the MHRD gave the approval to set up the institute in Jodhpur. The classes were shifted from IIT Kanpur to IIT Jodhpur in May 2010.
Infrastructure and Faculty Members
IIT Jodhpur has a good infrastructure with all the necessary facilities required for the courses it offers. The residential as well as academic area in the campus is connected by high speed WiFi network.
It has a big library that offers access to numerous national and international e-journals. The computer centre here has high performance computing system. It offers access to various licensed software.
The institute also boasts of a pool of highly learned and experienced faculty members. The faculty members are devoted towards the academic growth of the students here. The management provides them complete support in this regard.
Academic Departments and Focus Groups
The institute has 11 departments and 2 focus groups. Here is a look at these:
- Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- System Science
- Biologically Inspired System Science
IIT Jodhpur offers undergraduate, post graduate, interdisciplinary and Ph. D programs. Here is a look at these in detail:
- Under Graduate Programs
- B. Tech. (Computer Science & Engineering)
- B. Tech. (Electrical Engineering)
- B. Tech. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Post Graduate Programs
- M.Sc. (Chemistry)
- M.Sc. (Mathematics)
- M.Sc. (Physics)
- M. Tech (Electrical Engineering)
- M. Tech (Mechanical Engineering)
- Interdisciplinary Programs
- M. Tech. (Energy)
- M. Tech. (Information & Communication Technology)
- M. Tech. (System Science)
- Ph.D. (Energy)
- Ph.D. (Information & Communication Technology)
- Ph.D. (System Science)
- Doctor of Philosophy Programs
- Ph.D. (Computer Science & Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Biosciences and Bioengineering)
- Ph.D. (Chemistry)
- Ph.D. (Mathematics)
- Ph.D. (Physics)
- Ph.D. (Humanities & Social Sciences)
Besides these, the Institute also offered the following programs between 2010 and 2014:
- B. Tech. (System Science)
- B. Tech. (Biologically Inspired System Science)
Admission to IIT Jodhpur
Just as other IITs, the candidates for B. Tech programs in IIT J are also selected based on the Joint Entrance Examination. The eligibility criterion also remains the same. The candidate is tested on his knowledge in Physics, Chemistry and Maths.
For the post graduate courses, the marks in the graduate course are considered. Entrance examination is also held for admission to M. Tech and M.Sc. programs in IIT Jodhpur.
Though the institute has been set up well, the management at IIT Jodhpur is continually thriving to improve its infrastructure and other facilities available here. Within no time, IIT J has become a popular choice for IIT aspirants.