International Women’s Day is celebrated worldwide on the 8th of March every year to rejoice the cultural, social, political and economic achievements of women. The need for gender equality is emphasized by various social groups on this day.
Women, in every part of the world, have been oppressed and discriminated by the society since centuries. However, they have gradually become aware about their rights and are stepping out to make a mark in different fields. International Women’s Day is being observed since the early 1900’s. Here is a brief history about the same:
- The growing oppression and inequality led to the women becoming vocal about the issue in 1908. They were seen actively participating in various campaigns that raised these issues and demanded change. Around 15,000 women marched through New York to get their demands for better pay and shorter working hours fulfilled this very year. They also demanded the right to vote.
- The first National Woman’s Day (NWD) was observed on 28th February 1909 in the United States.
- Until 1913, the last Sunday of February was celebrated as the National Woman’s Day.
- For the first time, International Women’s Day was honoured in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark on the 19th of March 1911.
- Russian women celebrated their first International Women’s Day on the last Sunday of February in 1913.
- In 1914, International Women’s Day was celebrated on the 8th of March and now it is held on the same date each year in all the countries.
A lot of change in the society’s attitude towards women has been observed since the International Women’s Day was first celebrated. Women are recognising their worth and bringing out the best in them to make a place in the society. This is a day to encourage their efforts and thank them for their enormous contribution in every walk of life.
Here’s Etoosindia is wishing all you gorgeous ladies, A Very Happy Women’s Day.
Stay Strong and Keep Moving – The Sky’s the Limit for You!