Lady Hardinge Medical College for Women, located in New Delhi, was established back in the year 1916. The college funded by the Indian government became a part of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi in 1950.
The college was named after the then Viceroy of India, Baron Charles Hardinge who founded it to promote women education. What started as a small institute with a very low strength of students now offers various graduate as well as post graduate courses. It has several departments including the Department of Physiology, Department of Anatomy, Department of Community Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Department of Pharmacology, Department of Forensic Medicine, Department of Pathology and Department of Biochemistry. These departments have a pool of learned and experienced faculty members. The admission capacity to the MBBS course in the college has been increased to 200 seats since the year 2011.
Lady Hardinge’s campus includes a hostel, library, laboratories and auditorium. It encourages the students to participate in sports and other extra co-curricular activities. The college encompasses two teaching hospitals namely, Kalawati Saran Child Hospital and Smt. Sucheta Kriplani Hospital. With a capacity of 350 and 877 beds respectively, these hospitals do not only provide training to the students but also offer tertiary level medical facilities to the people living in the city.
Each year several students aspire to pursue different medical courses from this esteemed college. It has lately attained the 25th position in a list of top medical colleges in India by Careers 360.