While marine engineering attracts quite a lot of students each year many are still hesitant to go for this rather unconventional engineering course. If you too are one of those who is indecisive of whether to go for this course or not then the information shared here should help. Here is a detailed look at the course, its scope, eligibility criteria and other details related to it:
What is Marine Engineering?
As the name suggests, the Marine Engineering course has been designed to prepare the candidates become successful marine engineers after its completion. They are awarded the Class 4 Marine Engineer Certificate of Competency by the Ministry of Shipping, India after successfully completing the course that includes 6 months of sea service.
After attaining this certificate the candidates become eligible to work as marine engineer on merchant navy ships across the globe.
Marine Engineering Courses
There are two ways in which a student can obtain the B.E. /B. Tech. Marine Engineering Degree. He/ she can either go for the regular course or for Lateral Entry after the completion of diploma program.
The regular B.E. /B. Tech. Marine Engineering course is for 4 years. Those going for lateral entry can get a direct admission in the 2nd year so for them the course is for 3 years.
- Educational Qualification
- For regular B.E. /B. Tech. Marine Engineering course, the candidate must clear his 10+2 in science stream with physics, chemistry and mathematics being compulsory subjects. The candidate must have scored minimum 60% aggregate marks in PCM and minimum 50% in English.
- For Lateral entry, the candidate must complete Diploma course in Mechanical or Marine Engineering from a recognized institute. The candidate should have scored at least 60% in diploma and must also have scored a minimum of 50% in English in 10th or 12th class examination.
- Medical Health Criteria
- Unaided vision in each eye must be 6/12.
- Candidate must not have night blindness or colour blindness.
- Other health checkups are done to assess whether the candidate is fit enough to take up seafaring roles.
- Age Limit
- In case of regular B.E. /B. Tech marine engineering course, the candidate’s age must be between 17 and 25 years.
- In case of lateral entry, the upper limit for age is 25 years and there is no lower age limit.
Shipping is a good sector – respectful and rewarding. Marine engineers are required in huge numbers. A number of job opportunities are generated in this sector each year and hence it has immense scope.