Sleep is indeed a quintessential part of life. It is necessary for the proper functioning of our body. Lack of it can have serious repercussions on our physical as well as mental health. Here is why it is recommended to complete 7-8 hours of sleep every day.
Importance of Sound Sleep
- Keeps You Fit and Active
Having proper sleep every night keeps you fit and healthy. A person who takes the recommended amount of sleep each night stays energized and active throughout the day.
- Boosts Your Concentration Power
Completing your sleep each night boosts your power to concentrate. It increases your attention span as well as your level of attention and helps you grasp better. It also sharpens your motor skills.
- Keeps You in Good Mood
Our body needs rest in order to regain energy. Having adequate sleep helps your body take the required amount of rest. It does not only keep you physically fit but also keeps you in good mood.
- Boosts Memory
Taking adequate sleep each night helps you memories better and retain information for a longer time. Your performance improves manifolds if you take a proper good night’s sleep.
- Curbs Inflammation
Inflammation that can result in heart problem, diabetes, stroke and arthritis can be curbed to a great extent by taking a sound sleep daily. It thus helps in keeping you in good health.
Impact of Lack of Sleep
- Makes you Lethargic
It is common knowledge that lack of sleep can make you feel lethargic. If you do not have the recommended amount of sleep each night, you are likely to feel drained physically as well as mentally.
- Causes Stress
Lack of sleep may lead to stress and anxiety. If you go days without having enough sleep you might even go into depression.
- Lowers Your Thinking Ability
Lack of sleep has a major impact on your mental health. It lowers your ability to think and analyse and decreases productivity. Having less than the recommended amount of sleep also has negative impact on your memory and makes you forgetful.
- Causes Skin Ageing
Lack of sleep also impacts your skin adversely. Not having enough sleep results in the release of stress hormone cortisol. Increased amount of cortisol can break down skin collagen that ensures the elasticity and smoothness of skin. Sleep deprivation also causes puffy eyes, lacklustre skin, dark circles and fine lines.
- Causes Health Issues
Lack of adequate sleep can have adverse effect on your overall health. You may incur the following problems because of this:
- Heart Problem
- High Blood Pressure
- Excessive Weight Gain
Tips to Enjoy Sound Sleep
If you are one of those who have hard time falling asleep then the following tips should helps:
- Develop a sleeping routine by going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day.
- Have a healthy and balanced diet and avoid the consumption of junk food. Oily and fried food must especially be avoided in dinner.
- Read yourself to sleep.
- Meditate for 10-15 minutes before sleeping.
- Smoking may be one of the reasons why you aren’t able to catch up on your sleep. This is because cigarettes contain nicotine which is a stimulant. It prevents you from falling asleep. It is thus suggested to quit smoking.
- Squeeze in sometime to exercise each day as it would help you enjoy sound sleep. However, do not exercise within 4 hours of your bed time.
- Listening to light bed time music can also help.