There are several reputed private and government Top Medical College in India offering quality education in the field of medicine. Each year thousands of students aspire to enter these colleges to excel in the field of medicine and the cream among them is selected to pursue MBBS/ BDS courses. The entry in most of the top medical colleges in the country is made on the basis of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) that tests the candidate’s’ knowledge in three subjects – Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Here is a look at the top medical colleges in the country:
Top Medical Colleges in India:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi: Ranked number 1 among Top Medical College in India, the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) was established in the year 1956. It is a medical college and medical research public university that operates under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Christian Medical College (CMS), Vellore: This is a minority run private educational and research institute. It encompasses a network of primary, secondary and tertiary care hospitals located in and around Vellore.
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow: Earlier known by the name, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, this medical school was set up after King George’s Medical College was upgraded into university by an act passed by the government of Uttar Pradesh in 2002.
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune: Established in 1948, this esteemed medical college in Pune is managed by the Indian Armed Forces. Remnants of Indian Army Medical Corps units were put together to come up with the Armed Forces Medical Services.
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore: Recognised by the Medical Council of India (MCI), this college is globally known for imparting quality medical education. It was established in the year 1955 making use of the clinical facilities of Government Lady Goschen Hospital and Government Wenlock Hospital.
- St John’s Medical College, Bangalore: Established in the year 1963, this is a part of the St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences managed by the Catholic Bishops.
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi: This government medical college is affiliated to University of Delhi. It has one of the best medical faculties and is known to offer top rated education.
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi: This medical college, funded by the Government of India, is exclusively for women. It became a part of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi in the year 1950.
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi: This is one of the three institutes of Banaras Hindu University. It includes faculty of medicine, faculty of dental sciences and faculty of Ayurveda. this is a thread Top Medical College in India.
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry
This is the oldest medical college in the country to offer European medicine in Asia. The institute is funded by the Indian central government and runs its internal administration independently.