Chikungunya is caused because of mosquito bite. There are two types of mosquitoes that spread the Chikungunya virus. These are – Aedes Albopictus and Aedes Aegypti. Many cases of Chikungunya are reported in India each year. The condition of the patients suffering from Chikungunya is painful. However, the good news is that this illness is curable. Let us learn more about Chikungunya to identify the condition as well as treat it in case it surfaces.
Most people who are infected with Chikungunya virus develop few of these symptoms within 3-7 days of being bitten by the mosquito:
- Fever is one of its most common symptoms. It is mostly coupled with joint pain.
- A person suffering from this condition might also experience swelling of joints and muscle pain.
- Constant headache is also an indicator of this condition.
- Many people develop rashes all over the body.
- A person may experience excessive fatigue.
- Nausea and vomiting may also be signs of Chikungunya.
The aforementioned symptoms hint that you may be suffering from Chikungunya. However, it is essential to visit a healthcare provider to confirm the actual cause of these problems.
The doctors examine the patients and ask them to get blood tests done to confirm the actual cause of these symptoms.
Doctors prescribe medicines such as acetaminophen to bring down fever and pain and cure Chikungunya. However, in addition to this you may also practice the following to recover from this condition:
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids to stay hydrated.
- It is important to rest as much as possible to help your body replenish the lost energy.
- It is suggested to avoid the consumption of aspirin as it increases the chances of bleeding.
- Having honey mixed with lemon juice is also helpful in recovering from this condition.
- Ayurvedic treatments are also available to treat Chikungunya. Many people have turned towards the use of Ayurvedic herbs to cure this illness. These are quite effective.
Though no vaccine has been developed for Chikungunya as of now however there are a few ways that can help prevent this condition. Here is a look at the same:
- Since this disease is spread due to mosquito bite, it is recommended to use mosquito repellents at home.
- Apply mosquito cream or lotion as you step out.
- Wear protective clothes to avoid direct contact of mosquitoes to the skin.
- Keep your surroundings clean. Mosquitoes that spread Chikungunya virus penetrate in water. It is thus suggested to not let water stand unnecessarily.
- Cover stored water and change it often to avoid breeding of mosquitoes.
- In case it is not possible to eliminate standing water then add insecticides or pesticides to it.
- Keep the doors and windows of your house shut during the evening hours so that the mosquitoes do not enter inside.
Chikungunya fever usually lasts for about a few days to a few weeks. However, it may leave the patients feeling fatigued for several weeks to come even after recovering from the fever. Many people even complain of prolonged joint pain. At times, it takes months to heal the joint pain after being infected by the Chikungunya virus. The aforementioned remedies to recover from this illness are quite effective. These help in reducing the pain and recovering faster.